Alaska Outdoors is hiring for the summer season (June to August).
All staff will participate in various forms of staff training and location familiarization prior to and during the summer season.
Position: Lead Guide
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead Guide will be responsible for independently leading small groups (up to 12 clients) on multi-day camping trips (7-17 days) throughout South Central and interior Alaska.
Lead Guide duties include, but are not limited to, driving vans, interpreting natural history, preparing meals, and leading activities, such as hikes, canoe trips, etc, and working with local tour operators to make day trip arrangements upon guest’s interests. Other duties may arise on the trips or be assigned by Alaska Outdoors as needed. Those duties may include: vehicle maintenance and light repair, keeping record logs, packing, cleaning and maintaining equipment, repairing equipment, shopping and others.
- Alaska trip guiding experience
- Experience camping in Alaska
- Clean, or mostly perfect driving record
- Knowledge of Alaskan natural history and willingness to learn more
- Experience cooking and managing food on multi-day trips
- Current 1st Aid and CPR certification (wilderness first responder preferred)
- Outgoing and comfortable entertaining groups and interpreting natural history
- Detail oriented and able to multi-task
- A good time manager, able to keep a schedule
- Comfortable driving a 15 passenger van pulling a cargo trailer (6X9)
- Capable of physical activity and light lifting
- Comfortable working as part of a team
Additional professional development/ university study is helpful in the following areas
- Natural Sciences
- Outdoor leadership
- Natural history interpretation
- Recreation and tourism
- First aid
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and a brief summary explaining why you think you are a good match for this position.